Tuesday, 16 August 2016

Noizze's Tech-Fest Interviews: Fit for an Autopsy

Interview taken at Tech-Fest 2016. Transcribed below.


Noizze: Excellent. Well thank you very much for the opportunity.

Patrick Sheridan: Of course.

Noizze: I'm Gavin from Noizze and I'm here with Fit For an Autopsy. Can I ask you guys to introduce yourselves?

Patrick: Pat. Guitar.

Tim Howley: Uhh I'm Tim, I also play Guitar.

Josean Orta: Josean, I play drums.

Noizze: Cool, excellent. Thanks for the opportunity, really do appreciate it.

Pat: Anytime.

Noizze: Well first of all, how are you finding the festival so far? Did you just get here?

Pat: With Full Force, Uhhh then we did uhh ten to twelve days support to Fallujah. Then we did like five or six headlining dates with From Sorrow To Serenity. So we've been pretty busy.

Tim: We just, we just got here today, this morning. So, I mean, walking around, walking around the festival grounds, it's been pretty cool. This spot is pretty cool.

Noizze: Brilliant. Yeah I've been really pleased to see the festival, to see TechFest get this big. Have you been many times before?

Pat: Uhh

Tim: No. No, just once, before this.

Noizze: You going to be here for the entire festival?

Pat: Just today.

Tim: Just today.

Pat: We fly out tomorrow.

Noizze: Ohhh. I was going to ask if there were any bands that you were excited to see, but-

Tim: Protest the Hero!

Pat: Protest the Hero.

Noizze: Oh okay, cool.

Tim: Really excited to see Protest the Hero.

Pat: Uhh I would have liked to have seen Animals as Leaders also. And I would have liked to have seen.

Josean: Animals.

Pat: Everyone. You know? It's just been one of those things where, you know? Timing.

Noizze: Yeah.

Pat: You know what I mean?

Noizze: Yeah. Okay, um... Also at Noizze we're interested in seeing some of the upcoming bands and things like that. So I was wondering if you've toured with any bands or seen any around that you thought...?

Tim: From Sorrow To Serenity.

Pat: From Sorrow To Serenity, for sure.

Tim: They're out there doing...

Pat: They're doing good. Uhh who else? …up and coming?

Tim: Give Up the Ghosts.

Pat: Give Up the Ghosts is awesome. Hardcore band from...

Tim: The Boston area.

Pat: they're really sick. Uhh young bands, young bands. Uhhh I'm trying to think.

Tim: I'm really out of the loop man, when it comes to...

Pat: And I'm half asleep, so

Tim: Uhhh they're not really like a younger band but I mean like fucking Monuments the other day.

Pat: Yeah.

Tim: We saw them at like With Full Force and like...

Pat: Yeah.

Tim: They like blew everyone away.

Pat: Yeah. Their singers a maniac. It's great.

Tim: Yeah.

Noizze: Cool, is there any advice that you'd give to bands that are trying to make it? Starting out?

Pat: Uuum.

Tim: Don't stop!

Pat: Yeah.

Tim: Yeah.

Pat: Yeah don't stop or don't start.

Tim: Yeah if...

Pat: Yeah, if you're not willing to go all the way then don't bother because there's bands out there that have like work ethics like we do.

Tim: Yeah.

Pat: And they'll continue past you if you quit.

Josean: We see bands quitting too quick.

Pat: Yeah.

Josean: Like too soon man, like too soon.

Pat: I mean like we're on our third record.

Tim: Yeah.

Pat: and we're only just starting to get people paying attention.

Tim: You can't give it, can't give it like eighty percent. Can't give it ninety percent, ninety-nine percent. You have to give it all. There's no... If, ends or buts. It's all. You know, it's like an old picture that always see. This dude is sitting there and he's digging in uhh in a diamond mind.

Noizze: Yeah.

Tim: And he's literally five feet away from those diamonds.

Noizze: Mmm.

Tim: And there's another dude, right behind him, like, just about to hit it. And he doesn't know how close he is.

Noizze: Yeah.

Tim: To get to the point where he wants to be.

Noizze: Yeah.


Tim: But it... they just... give up. You know, they're like “I can't take this anymore” and they give up, you know? When they're literally that close, you know?

Noizze: That's a cool picture. You know um... I actually want to pick up on something you said a moment ago, you know. Just about people just starting to pay attention to you. How did you realise that?

Pat: I mean you realise...

Tim: You just notice it!

Pat: Social media numbers.

Tim: Yeah.

Pat: Uum.

Josean: Shows.

Pat: You know, shows. Shows are better. You're selling more merch online. Um personal messages through email and Facebook like... I must get asked and listen: I like answering gear questions. So I have no problem with it but I get asked... ten times a week by people what gauge strings, what kind of pick ups do you use... when that stuff starts happening... wow like people really... Care about what we're doing.
  
Photo Credit: Ryan Winstanley

Noizze: Yeah.

Pat: So it's like that what we see more of. And it's like just people coming up and talking to us. We met this girl in uhhh... where were we? The girl that was shaking.

Tim: Oh! We were in Cardiff.

Pat: And she was freaking out so bad about meeting us and we're like we're just regular dudes.

Noizze: Yeah.

Pat: That's a real weird situation for us. So that stuff is happening more and like... we're so taken back by people caring. It's... It's... It's really great.

Noizze: That's cool.


Pat: Nice feeling. Thanks.

Noizze: Well uhh I'm also interested, in the terms of the music industry and everything how would you say that the internet has really made a difference? Particularly with the arrival of like digital download and things like that?

Pat: It hurts and hinders us but it also does a lot of good.

Tim: Yeah! That it's...

Josean: Bad and good.

Tim: It's a blessing and a curse man.

Pat: Yeah.

Tim: You know like the peer to peer sharing when it first started. You know it was this really cool thing and everyone was stoked on it and then it, it literally killed. Like almost killed the music industry because like now... you know you have like all of these artists putting out music.

Noizze: Yeah.

Tim: And they're kinda undercutting themselves to get their music out there.

Pat: Yeah and it used to be first week. We'd be doing triple the numbers we were doing now. Now we got to struggle to maintain. We can't recoup on records. Like people don't realise... when you make a record, they're like 'oh this band got like a twenty thousand dollar record deal' and it's like yeah sick, we got twenty grand to record a record but we got to pay that back.

Noizze: Yeah.


Tim: It's all recoupable funds.

Pat: It's all recoupable funds. It's everything. So we're all selling off records to recoup... that means we spend all our time here trying to figure out how to cover the cost that we had to spend. There's no buying a house, there's no paying the bills, there's no you know, eating nice food. It's, it's a struggle. So like the internets great for reach.

Noizze: Yeah.

Pat: But bad for your bank account. Um it makes it tough just to stick it out.

Noizze: Um I want to get a bit more theoretical when it comes to music. But uhh how would you define 'brutality' when it comes to music?


Pat: Uum.

Noizze: What is this sense of...?

Tim: It, it. Alright, I'll touch base on this one. It's kinda the same when you're like 'Ohhh this band is heavy' you know? ...when kids say this band is brutal or this band is heavy it kind of goes hand in hand. And I feel like... that people miss the definition of heavy as or brutal as. Like stuff like that. You know, just because something has a breakdown or something has been tuned low doesn't mean it's heavy. I feel like, you know, the whole band affects you personally and how hard it hits you. You know, the overall tone and feeling of the music.

Noizze: Yeah.

Tim: That trumps anything.

Pat: And there are like a million songs that I've heard and I'm like [exhales]

Tim: Yeah! Exactly like it makes you feel like you'e got a hole in your chest. To me you know, like you've got this weight bearing down on your shoulders listening to certain songs and it doesn't have to be about the band or something like that.

Pat: Sure! Like Slayer's in like what? E-Flat?!

Tim: Yeah, E-Flat.

Pat: E-Flat and they're like the heaviest band ever.

Tim: Yeah.

Pat: You know and I mean those riffs are so heavy so everybody now is like ten strings fifty strings.

Noizze: Yeah.

Pat: Hundred strings like yeah we use... seven string guitars but we're in standard with a drop A.

Noizze: Yeah.


Pat: Tuning down a little and the lowest we go is like drop G.

Noizze: Yeah.

Pat: And it doesn't make us heavier it just gives it a different tone.

Noizze: Yeah.

Pat: If you don't know how to write a good riff [hits his hand] you're never going to like [hits his hand]

Tim: Also, like touching... touching on the whole... Brutal Death Metal vocals and stuff like that. It's cool, but I feel like you know, you have these guys that are in their Brutal, Slam, Death Metal bands that are doing these like... gutteral that are like sick, don't get me wrong, but hearing Nergal say what he says. That's way heavier to me. The way that it makes me.

Josean: The articulation.

Tim: Yeah.

Josean: I saw Vader the other night.

Noizze: Oh yeah?

Josean: And they were like playing at like one in the morning. But his vocals were like the heaviest thing I've heard and you can understand every word.

Noizze: Yeah.

Josean: And that to me was like way scarier uhh sound than like... [gestures hand across] So like brutal.

Noizze: Yeah, I'm curious man, how were Vader?

Josean: Sick!

Pat: Sick!

Josean: Like too good man, I've like, it was so late and so

Tim: I was sleeping.

Josean: Still packed and I've never seen them before. It was too good. And I'm like inspired to see them continue you know like, how they still go. Even though, I think he's got a lot of new band members but they've still got it, you know? Making it work!

Noizze: um the other thing I wanted to touch upon in Metal, you get this sort of innovation where people are trying out new things and crossing genres and things like that. Then there's this sort of throwback to like the original, like recapturing that like eighties or nineties sound.

Tim: Oh for sure.

Noizze: Where do you find... you know, what do you think about this sort of approach to Metal?

Tim: Right, I, I, I'll... look at this way and you have bands that you know, want to like revive certain sounds.

Noizze: Yeah.

Tim: I think it's cool.

Noizze: Yeah.

Tim: To a certain extent but I feel like a lot of those bands have this cockiness about them because they're like the only ones doing it now.

Noizze: Oh I see.
  
Photo Credit: Ryan Winstanley

Tim: Like, it's like you didn't start that. It was started thirty years ago!

Pat: There's another thing here. It's got to feel natural.

Tim: Yes!

Pat: If you feel like you're forcing it...

Tim: You can't force it.

Pat: If you're coming out like if you're a Thrash Metal band. Like, I saw DRI and Exodus in like eighty-seven eighty-eight. I have seen these bands, it's been here. If you do it and it looks and feels right.... Sick! Awesome! I'll buy the records and I'll watch it. If you're doing anything that's forced like crabcore, like ultra-squat, big... going too hard... to me that's not real. Music is supposed to feel... it's a creative feeling that comes from you. If you're not... If you're not doing it naturally... it looks fake and it's not real and I can't get behind it.

Tim: And it's the same thing like if you know we're in the year twenty-sixteen if you're going out and you're purposefully like... you know like just to gain... notoriety and like fans... and fans.

Pat: Instant fans.

Tim: And like acid washed jeans. You know like ventilators ….fuck what are they? Ventilators are like the fuck. Uhhh.... I forget.

Pat: The velcro, nike, high top shoes.

Tim: Yeah. Nike's from like.
  


Pat: Don't fake it.

Tim: Don't fake the funk man.

Pat: The thing about Metal and the way it's always been is like the style has always like changed with the years. What genre you fall into, but Metal is generally a jeans and T-shirt kinda thing. Like everybody in the room. Black jeans, T-Shirt [pointing to people], Black jeans, T-Shirt.

Tim: Always been.

Pat: [Still pointing] Blue jeans, T-shirt. Jeans and T-shirt. Like once you put on the pyjamas, you got to wear the pyjamas to do your job. Like alright. Behemoth. They wear outfits that, that fit exactly what they're doing.

Noizze: Yeah.

Pat: Like, you know what I mean. It's like so sick.

Tim: And natural.

Pat: It's a natural thing.

Tim: And it doesn't feel forced at all.

Pat: It doesn't feel like a performance. But when you get kids coming out with this like big hair do and the.

Josean: I saw two members of Behemoth use the bathroom like in full costume and it was the scariest thing I've ever seen.

Pat: Hahaha!

Tim: Hahaha!

Noizze: Haha.

Tim: And that was like... and that was like...you know.

Josean: Yeah, I was like, they poop!?!

Tim: We look up to that band a decent amount. Yeah, like seeing those dudes walk around. Like when we played With Full Force and shaking their hands... and stuff like that, it was cool but like, like what he said, it was so natural. [gives a clenching fists gesture]

Pat: Yeah...

Tim: Evil.

Pat: ...this is the first time I've said it, but I'm pretty sure, one-hundred and ten percent Nergal's actually Satan.

Noizze: Hahaha!

Tim: Yeah.

Pat: He's so... He has to be. Like I know he would call me an idiot for saying that.

Tim: Hahaha.



Pat: But like he's so properly dressed and he's got like every hair on his moustache is perfect and I was like so awkward talking to him and I'm pretty good with people.

Noizze: Yeah.

Pat: But I'm like it just felt so...

Josean: Man it was scary.

Pat: He's like, he's like a hero to me and like my wife has a huge crush on him and all this stuff. He's the fucking devil! He's the devil! I'm convinced he's Satan in the flesh and I love him. It's amazing.

Noizze: What do you think of like his appearances on like the Voice of Poland?


Pat: Good for him! Listen, listen.

Tim: I think it's awesome.

Josean: It's great.

Pat: I think the problem with the Metal world is that Metal dudes hate on another's success. Let that fucking guy run.

Noizze: That is pretty stupid.

Pat: Yeah! Who cares? So he's on the Voice of Poland. A fucking celebrity in Poland. He can't walk down the street without getting stopped. The Christian church wants to bury him! He's doing everything right. Everything right, man.

Noizze: I just thought that's interesting right, so you're proclaiming this guy as Satan and he's on the Voice of Poland... well, this is all part of Satan's plan I guess.
Pat: Yeah.

Tim: Oh yeah, absolutely.

Josean: Oh yeah. Evil trick.

Pat: Like, like, the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was making the world believe he doesn't exist.

Noizze: Fair, okay.

Pat: I mean when I look at him and I watch how he... that thing that he did to Andrew. He walked past one of our buddies and they were like staring at each other for a minute and trapped a little wink and it shook Andrews.

Tim: Hahaha.

Noizze: Hahaha!

Pat: Yeah, you know what I mean?

Tim: It's sick.

Noizze: Cool. Excellent, well I just want to finish on a silly one. So if you were stranded on a dessert island, how would you survive?

Tim: Uuhh okay. First off, who am I there with? What kind-

Pat: No, no.

Tim: of thing do I have-?

Noizze: You're stranded alone.

Tim: By myself?

Noizze: Yeah.

Tim: Uhh.

Pat: Wilson? Where's Wilson?

Tim: Yeah! Like.

Noizze: Hahaha.

Tim: What's on this island is there like wildlife is there...?

Pat: As long as there's fruit and vegetables to eat and uhh strand me with a cell phone and like unlimited charge so I can listen to music [drums].

Josean: As long as I can make music [drums].

Pat: As long as I have music I'll be fine. As long as I can construct a guitar out of like... banana wood or something?

Tim: If you could just drop... If you could drop tacos.

Josean: Hahaha.

Tim: There like every week.

Pat: Dashboard tacos, dashboard tacos.

Tim: No. Not like dahsboard tacos. If you could drop like mexican beef, like mexican tacos like tacos. Just like aeroplane them in... we're going to be fine. I'd be cool with that. And cake! Cake would be cool!

Pat: Cake. [he pats Tim's stomach]

Tim: [he pats his stomach]

Noizze: Hahaha! Cool. Well thank you very much, it's been a pleasure.

Pat: Thank you.

Tim: Thanks.

Noizze: Thanks, appreciate it.

Josean: Thanks.

Noizze: And I hope you guys enjoy the festival.

Tim: Oh yeah!

Pat: Thank you for having us.

Fuel Rock Club

Fuel Rock Club
Cardiff's Only Dedicated Rock & Metal Bar and Club