Wednesday, 17 August 2016

Noizze's Tech-Fest Interviews: Fallujah

Interview taken at Tech-Fest 2016. Transcribed by Alba Ribugent below.




Noizze: Thank you very much for giving me this opportunity. I really do appreciate it. I’m Gavin from Noizze. This is Fallujah and Robert. Nice to meet you. How you doing anyway?

Robert Morey: Good! Bit tired, I'm at the absolute end of a very long tour. This is our last show. We did three weeks in Europe and two months in America with Black Dahlia Murder and Disentuned from Australia.

Noizze: How was that?

Robert: Really sick dude… Like all kinds of markets, like every city you can imagine. 41 straight shows and all sorts of weird parts of the country you’ve never been to. We played everywhere.

Noizze: Have you ever played in Tech-Fest?

Robert: No! First time!

Noizze: Oh, okay. How are you finding it so far?

Robert: Good! I really like the... it seems like a really honest production. Like, everyone here seems to really love the music that they are showcasing, you know? It seems like a really honest from the top down. Like it’s a good scale too. It's not too big and not to small.

Noizze: I certainly do agree with that. I actually don’t like large festivals. I don’t know if you’ve…

Robert: Yeah. We just did hell fest for the first time which is absurd and then we went to With Full Force which is a little bit smaller. It was a much better production because it was not so massive. Ridiculous. You know what I mean? Like Hellfest had the bigger bands and it was kind of cool to see like Black Sabbath and Ghost, you know? The With Full Force scale was much nicer because it was... a bit more accessible, you know what I mean? There was just two stages, you know? But massive crowd so it was just cool.

Noizze: In terms of Tech-Fest, have you just arrived? Are you...?

Robert: We flew in last night.

Noizze: Are you staying for much longer at all?

Robert: No. We are flying early, early this morning.

Noizze: Okay, because I was going to ask if there were any bands that you are looking forward to… Well, assuming that you are staying for the entire thing, are there any bands that you would have been particularly excited to see?

Robert: I heard some shit… I heard some guy demoing some shit that sounded super cool and I wish I could figure out who it was! There is a girl singer but I don’t think it was Destiny Potato. But Destiny Potato supposedly is really sick so I wanted to check them out.

Noizze: Didn’t get the chance…?

Robert: Yeah! Missed them. Missed them out but I will check them out on at a later time of whatever… but BTBAM [Between the Buried and Me] obviously and Protest the Hero are sick, I want to check out Protest the Hero.

Noizze: At Noizze we are actually really interested in sort of like local scene and things like that. I was kind of wondering if you saw any sort of like upcoming bands at all that kind of need pushing into forefront.

Robert: Yeah, my best buds back home are doing this like, kinda like black metal band and projects. It’s called Underling. They are writing this really, really sick like atmospheric stuff. Like all kinds of influences. It is basically black metal with all kinds of different influences dude. There's like are some Type O influences, doomy, sludgy influences, you know? Yeah, they're like really sick. Underling. Yeah, they're going out on their first tour starting tomorrow. They are really cool.

A very, very sick… ridiculously sick Tech Death band from San Francisco is called Anomalis(ts?). They are... retardadly good! They are incredible. Some of the best Tech Death ever! And they're just not as big as I want them to be! So good… I would love for them to like take off. They are just really good like working class guys who happen to write incredibly good music, you know? Maybe like the touring life is not for them or whatever so… But man, they write the best stuff dude. Yeah Anomalists! is soo good!

Noizze: Also, what kind of advice would you give for people who are just starting out?

Robert: Um just write good songs, like pay attention to song structure. I listen to so much music and they hit a good part and it just ends and they don’t complete what. Where I subconsciously want it to go. That is just obviously very subjective opinion. But I feel like if you can do like good choruses that are like super complete. You know like melodies with really good song structure… like that has such staying power. Really, really good quality to it. You wont forget about it. It will stick around with you. I’d say, like good song structure. Don’t be an idiot online, don’t post weird shit.

Noizze: Oh okay.

Robert: Don’t post weird opinions all the time or dirty laundry. Just keep it professional and keep it nice interactions and... That way you wont turn anyone off like...

Noizze: So like when you're thinking weird shit online, like you thinking opinions sort of like trashing stuff or...

Robert: Yeah, just like don’t talk shit online. If you are going to make it big ‘to do about something’ like… you might as well not want to alienate your fans that you are still trying to…

Noizze: Yeah.

Robert: You know what I mean? I don’t see it too much with the younger bands but a lot of these older bands post all kinds of weird shit online and then having now I'm going to talk about it. 'cause you know are obviously maybe some weird racist and now putting it all out there for someone to hear it. That’s probably not a good idea

Noizze: Yeah.

Robert: ...for your bands image.

Noizze: Yeah, I wondered if you meant like that or the kind of, just the weird shit that you’d post of a music video that is all just bat-shit crazy or like videos of you getting dressed into something.

Robert: Oh!

Noizze: You know? That kind of weird.

Robert: Well, that kind of shit… Are you talking about that one that just came out?

Noizze: No, I haven’t seen it…

Robert: Ok, I think there is some weird shit that just came out. I don’t remember what the bands name was… but there's some really bizarre music video there who everyone is talking about recently and then there are some bands that have no integrity in their music and they just focus on... Like putting out some... some bizarre weird memes all the time.

Noizze: Yeah.
Robert: I don’t know, random shit like that which has nothing to do with your, your art or anything. You are just trying to…creating an internet space at that point which I guess is fine but you are missing the point. I’d say, just stick to the point, write really good music, don’t alienate your fans right off the bat and make smart choices.

Noizze: Yeah.

Robert: Don’t kill the band early on by doing a terrible tour and then you’ve destroyed your memories. Then, they don’t want to like tour any more or something like that. So like just make good choices.

Noizze: What kind of plans do you have for Fallujah then?

Robert: Um we're pretty much touring for the year out. So, we come home… after this little tour cycle. We come home. And we have.... basically two months off and we are doing all kinds of stuff. We're going back to Europe. We’re doing BTBAM and Devin Townsend in America. Coming back to Europe and for Never Say Die. Then, we're working the rest of the year out for various stuff. Possibly Australia and Central America and stuff like that, so.


Noizze: What do you think of genre classification, as it applies to music? Is this a good thing? Is it a bad thing? You also get... I also want to touch upon, you know you get some competitiveness... some elitism. For example, death metal versus deathcore.

Robert: I think... we, we are a bit of an anomaly. We have kind of like been pigeon holed a little bit severally from a lot of bands. Like in this atmospheric death metal uh quality a little bit more atmospheric and progressive and we kind of have that sound. It is very easily identifiable. But I think, one of the biggest pet peeves of mine is when we put our dream list. Is the first thing everyone tries to do is classify it.

Noizze: Sure

Robert: They're paying more attention to classifying than what the hell they are listening to than they are... how is it making them feel or what they are listening to to begin with.

Noizze: Sure.

Robert: I think it can be a bit of a double edged sword. It's good for the, for the beginner to come in, like the newbie, to come in and be like: “Oh I want stuff that sounds like this...” and open up a list so to speak.

Noizze: Yeah.

Robert: But if you're like living and dying by the sword, so to speak, of genre classification you are missing out on like practically like... all of the qualities of music that I would want to hear... like if all you are doing is paying attention to the genre... If you know what I mean? I mean we listen to literally every genre, like everything.

Noizze: Um picking up little bit more on like metal and everything, I have noticed a particular cycles that you have where you get... a wave of people that are trying to do something new.... bringing in like gimmicks... and/or sort of like combining the genres with like elsewhere... basically trying to be very innovative and then you get a wave of people trying to do a throw back to the 80’s sounds or the 90’s sounds.

Robert: Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Noizze: What do you think about all of this?

Robert: I think it is sick. I think everything comes in waves, you know what I mean? So there’s bands that I like... like Powertrip all super sick... like Code Orange all these sick... kinda like trendy...

Noizze: Sure.

Robert: underground, kinda more hardcore or thrashier kind of bands or whatever. I think these bands are super sick.

Noizze: Yeah.

Robert: But I think it's important not to think like they are doing anything new... because they're really not.

Noizze: Yeah.

Robert: It is basically just 90’s stuff coming back in a wave, you know what I mean? Which is sick. It’s fine. You know, there are a lot of elitism that comes with that kind of shit.

Noizze: Yeah... Yeah, I guess.

Robert: And I guess it goes the other way too, like when you have ridiculously technical and progressive bands... they are just you know... above and beyond all sorts of levels of nerdom. You just like, you become so close minded to everything that is not classified by that sort of context musically.

Noizze: Yeah.

Robert: It just becomes like... you brick-wall everything else out. The best of both worlds is liking shit that's good. Like, like it all. Like shit that's good.

Noizze: That makes a lot of sense. I want to also bring us back to sort of what you said a little bit about the internet being a strange place and everything. I’ve talked about this with a couple of labels, actually. The idea that... how much the internet has changed the face of the music industry, particularly in the advent of uhh digital downloads because it means that people aren’t buys CD’s anymore or buying them less at least. If they are buying them it is more of a collection kind of thing going on and ... is it harder to make money as a band because of this? What are your thoughts on this?

Robert: When you are on a record label, they can pretty much tell you and break it down for you. Like, this band has a very, very high percentage of tangible buyers. Their fans buy. 40% of them buy CD’s, 30% of them buy you know Vinyl and the other 30% is like digital or whatever. So you know...

Noizze: Yeah.

Robert: Fallujah has a pretty high collect-ability rate with a lot of young people.

Noizze: Okay.

Robert: Like everyone wants to buy the very rare pressings of like the Vinyls. So we have a sort of a high tangible sort of thing. But in the grand scheme of things... that's like within the context of this new paradigm which is all digital to begin with.

Noizze: Yeah.

Robert: So it's nothing to like even remotely compare to before digital stuff.

Noizze: Okay.
Robert: I think it's, it's totally like removed So much capital from the band. Like there's no more money. It is like so hard, you know what I mean?

Noizze: Yeah.

Robert: Like so in a way it's good because you can give your music to more people but like it's ultimately like it's almost cheapened it, you know what I mean?

Noizze: Yeah.

Robert: Like now... like the bread and butter is, is more like... the touring and merchandise or stuff like that. Whereas the music is like the... just like the icing on the cake.

Noizze: Yeah, yeah. Okay um I just want to finish on sort of a random one. If there was an album that you could choose to play you to death, like it would literally kill you, playing it over and over and over again, what would it be?
Robert: Yeah, um.... Ziggy Stardust.

Noizze: Cool!

Robert: Yeah, it's a sick one. I could die to that album.

Noizze: That is a really cool choice! Yeah, I still fucking miss him.

Robert: Yeah, I know... Dude! Like his last album was so cool. Like on such a ridiculously artistic level. It was like a goodbye to everybody. Like those lyrics are like he literally knows he is going to die, you know what I mean?

Noizze: It's so chilling.

Robert: Yeah and it's chilling but like the ultimate mic drop... It's the ultimate artistic way out... 
I know I am dying. I am going to complete my saga with this album that is like a goodbye to everybody.” A lot of the lyrics are super chilling, dude. Like, it’s sick! 

Noizze: Yeah.

Robert: That song Lazarus or whatever...

Noizze: Yeah.

Robert: Dude it’s soo awesome. Like, it's like raising himself from the dead even after he dies by the album to begin with so it’s like super sick.

Noizze: Yeah man, well thank you very much for this opportunity. I really do appreciate your time.

Robert: Yeah.

Noizze: I hope you enjoy the rest of the festival.


Robert: Cool, will do! See you.

Fuel Rock Club

Fuel Rock Club
Cardiff's Only Dedicated Rock & Metal Bar and Club