Wednesday, 23 December 2015

Alex's Top 10 Albums of 2015!

#10: Radiohead - OK Computer

Released in 1997, this was quite before my time but has become one of the most listened to albums in my daily life. Although unsurprisingly morbid, it does provide contrast and perhaps is the most beautifully sad album on this list. My favourite track on it is End Music (For a film) prepare to cry...



#9: A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory

This is really the only hip hop album on here but it sure is my favourite hip hop album of all time. With rickety double bass grooves and crazy rhythmical bars this is one of the finest examples of jazz infused rap anyone will ever create.



#8: Tame Impala - Lonerism

The godlike genius of Kevin Parker is yet to fail on delivering an outstanding, mind bending experience in the form of a record however this perhaps is the greatest psychedelic rock album of the decade.



#7: The Maccabees - Given to the Wild

This album certainly deserves all the awards and for me it can only be done justice to in a full one sitting listening. There's a certain fluidity that the Maccabees have achieved here that not many can...



#6: The Strokes - Room on Fire

Perhaps not the go to top Strokes album, the gargantuans delivered a sound that, as far as I can see, has never been successfully replicated. It certainly leaves this album one of the most unique of the Strokes and certainly is my top pick. Here's a lesser known gem...



#5: Elliot Smith - Either/Or

Another sad one, this encompasses the melodic beauty of the late Elliot Smith's work and is a perfect snapshot of his breathtaking songwriting.



#4: The Districts - A Flourish and a Spoil

The most recent record on this list, Pennsylvanian four piece the Districts have had a profound influence on my listening this year and their lyrical masterpieces and soulful tones have soundtracked my year for sure.



#3: BADBADNOTGOOD - III

Toronto based jazz trio destroy boundaries with this record and are at the cutting edge of modern jazz and fusion. Steering clear of disco and funk, this record infuses lot's of deep dark harmonies with rock and hip hop beats, the drumming being particularly notable. This record has been on repeat in my house since it came out, check it...



#2: The Smith Westerns - Dye It Blonde

The now defunct Smith Westerns changed my view of the world, as any good album should. This record in particular realises a beautiful, eclectic mixture of such deeply saddening lyrics with seemingly joyous riffs supporting them. Listen closely and you might be as moved as I was.



#1: Bombay Bicycle Club - I Had The Blues But I Shook Them Loose

This was probably the only choice I didn't have to think about, this album has made up most of my listening for the past 3 years and doesn't show any signs of leaving my playlists any time soon. There's no song here which isn't a gem, even if they're obscured in the rough. The north London lads kick-started their success with this record and who can discredit them with this masterpiece. Plus the artwork is cool. Try this for teen angst.

 

Fuel Rock Club

Fuel Rock Club
Cardiff's Only Dedicated Rock & Metal Bar and Club