Saturday, 1 August 2015

Stone Angels: 'Give In To Temptation' Album Review

So Pantera started this thing with their southern influenced, whiskey fuelled metal thing in the early nineties (i'm sorry but anything before the 1992's 'Vulgur Display of Power' doesn't count). Then Zakk Wylde made it more mainstream with Black Label Society and eventually a little bit shitty and not metal by 2014 (Let's be honest the new album was awful and had way too many ballads). However this style of music continues to exist across the world, i'd like to say thrive but i'd be lying, despite the fact that most people don't live in Texas, have a drinking problem, beat their wife, smell of stale tobacco fermenting in whiskey and have a civil war to fight. Yet there are always new emerging bands churning out the same riffs and ballad breakdowns that first emerged when the Y2K was a thing (If you don't know what that is you're too young for the internet, go play with fireworks).


From that you might think that i am not a fan of this genre of the music, on the contrary, I love it. I have a BLS lyric tattooed on my arm and Pantera was my early teen transition from 'Hybrid Theory' to Iron Maiden, so they hold a special place in my heart. So when Stone Angels came across my ears I was excited, partially cause I thought it was an old BLS song at first. Despite this style of music that brings back a lot of good memories, why don't I like it?

... Cause it's not new, it's the same riffs that a hundred bands have played before with the same song titles like "Devils Child" "Shadow of a Black Sun" and "Misplaced Memories". These guys are clearly accomplished musicians as the quality is of a good standard, the singer has a unique and good sound and they obviously understand how to structure songs and make music. Unfortunately in this day and age that's not enough. I want to be excited, I want to hear something new that takes these base ideas and makes it sound like something nobodies ever done before.

With this said, I would still go watch them at a festival for the same reasons I wouldn't buy the album: It's familiar, I can shake my fist at it and get very drunk without having to think too much while listening to it!


Facebook: /StoneAngelsBand
Twitter: @StoneAngelsUK

Fuel Rock Club

Fuel Rock Club
Cardiff's Only Dedicated Rock & Metal Bar and Club